×

MN DNR urges hunters to be extra cautious this season after 2 hunters were injured during youth hunting opener

By Michael Achterling Nov 2, 2023 | 9:14 AM

Detroit Lakes, Minn. (KDLM) – With the Minnesota deer rifle opener set for Saturday, the MN Department of Natural Resources urges hunters to be extra cautious. 

Earlier this month, in separate incidents, two men were accidentally shot by inexperienced hunters during the youth hunting opener. 

The men suffered non-life threatening injuries, but it’s a reminder that accidents are preventable. 

MN DNR Conservation Officer Hannah Wood said hunting accidents happen almost every year and the agency aims to help hunters know how to be safe to avoid those accidents.

Wood is a former firearms safety instructor and said hunters of all ages can make mistakes if they’re not careful.

Wood said: “Treat every firearm as if it’s loaded. You want to control the muzzle, so don’t point it at anything you aren’t intending to kill. Keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.”

Between 2021 and 2022, there were 13 hunting accidents and one fatality in Minnesota, which prompted at least one change. 

Hunters are already required to wear blaze orange, but beginning this year their blinds will have to have blaze orange as well. 

The DNR also said to make sure your gun is unloaded when you are traveling in a vehicle or on an ATV. 

The MN DNR currently have 4,000 firearms safety instructors in the state but are always looking for more. 

If anyone is interested in becoming a firearms safety instructor, more information can be found on the MN DNR’s website.

Latest News

FOLLOW US FOR INSTANT UPDATES!

FOLLOW US FOR INSTANT UPDATES!